Majesty palm (Ravenea rivularis) also called Majestic Plant is naturally an outdoor plant native to Madagascar, Africa. It is now one of the popular houseplants due to its distinct look, especially its leaves. It belongs to the family Arecaceae.
In natural conditions, it can grow up to 100 ft tall. According to some assessments, a very less no of Majesty Palm plants is now available in wild due to the natural spread area being restricted by desserts.
However, it is being loved by households as an indoor plant and can be seen available in pots in various nursery and houseplant stores. This beautiful plant grows slowly and can reach up to 10 ft tall indoors.
It prefers plenty of bright, indirect sunlight, well-draining soil, and a moist environment. To grow and care for a Majesty Palm is a little tricky when you compare it with the most common houseplants. Many plant lovers describe it as a challenging houseplant to maintain.
But all you need is a proper guide to make A Majesty Palm grow healthy and beautiful in your indoors. So Let’s discuss it all in detail.
|Common Name||Majesty Palm|
|Other Names||Majestic Palm|
|Botanical Name||Ravenea rivularis|
|Height||Up to 10 feet|
|Width||Upto 6 feet|
|Leaf Size||Fond size-3 to 4 ft long|
leaflets- up to 2 ft long
|Flower||Rarely bloom Indoors|
|Soil||Moist and well-drained|
Majesty palm sizes and characteristics
- Majesty palm tree may grow up to 30 meters naturally in wild, but when you use it indoors it may not exceed more than 3 meters.
- You can use it for you outdoors or in gardens where it can reach up to 12 meters. The height of the Majesty palm tree depends upon the variety and the natural resource available.
- Majesty palm is not a pet-friendly plant, it needs proper care and attention to grow in a pot. If you have outdoor space then it’s advisable to grow it outdoors.
- It grows slowly, nearly 30cm a year.
Majesty Palm Benefits
- Majesty palm is a great home décor tool, looks great in room corners, especially in the living rooms and people love to use it in their sofa corners.
- It is non-toxic in nature and hence pet and kids-friendly.
- There is no such proof or experiments conducted on the additional benefit of Majesty palm indoors like air purification other than its natural benefits but it is believed by many that it has the air purification capacity.
Majesty Palm Care
As Majesty Palm is not an indoor-loving plant, it needs proper care to grow indoors with pots. You need to be tricky and balance all the ingredients, that a plant needs to make it healthy. There are a set of simple things you need to follow for any indoor plant. So here are some tips you should follow to grow a healthy Majesty palm in your indoors.
It needs sufficient daylight; six hours of morning and evening sunlight would be good. So place it near a window where It can get maximum exposure to light. But don’t place it under direct sunlight, especially during noon times.
Water it when the top layer of soil looks dry. Neither let the plant sit in standing water nor make the soil completely dry. You need to keep the soil moist. You should maintain a gap of 7 to 10 days between the watering cycle depending upon the season. It is advisable to water it under brighter light.
It prefers moist but well-drained soil. An acidic soil (PH level around 5 will be good enough) type will be good for the Majesty’s palm. You can do a soil test before potting it. Use organic potting mix soil available for palm trees.
Temperature & Humidity
As a tropical plant, Majesty Palm loves warmer conditions and is difficult to maintain in falling temperatures. An atmospheric temperature between 18°C to 30°C (65°F to 85°F) will be great.
Naturally, it prefers high humidity but can survive under normal humidity levels. Humidity levels greater than 50% will be good for the growth of Majesty palm. You can use a humidifier or simply place a tray of water under it to increase the humidity levels during the less humid times.
Use a mild liquid fertilizer during its growing days. You should feed Majesty Palm with a balanced fertilizer every 2-3 months during the growing season (spring and summer). A fertilizer with magnesium is required for majesty palm or you can use a pinch of Epsom salt with the mild liquid fertilizer to fulfill its magnesium requirements. And stop the fertilizer if the plant is stretched enough, also avoid it in winter.
Pruning of Majesty palm is not that much important for its growth like other house plants. Remove any yellow or brown leaves and trim back any brown or damaged fronds. It is just to maintain the plant’s appearance.
Pot Size & Re-Potting
You have to adjust the plant size along with its growth and when the majesty palm is mature enough it requires a pot having a diameter and height of 45cm to 60 cm.
However, you need not have to re-pot Majesty Palm every year as it grows slowly. You can replace the pot every 2 years. Use a heavy pot instead of a lightweight pot since it is a tall and heavy plant and there are chances it can fall down. Ceramic, clay, or metal pots are ideal.
Check the plant regularly for signs of pests such as spider mites or scale insects. If you detect any signs, treat the plant promptly with insecticidal soap or neem oil spray. Most of the time low humidity levels make the plant attacked by such pests.
How To Propagate Majesty Palm?
Propagating Majesty Palm is tricky and challenging. Hence, most people prefer to buy directly from a nursery instead of entering into a complicated propagation process. You have to be patient, it can take time and proper care to propagate to a healthy plant.
Propagating a majesty palm can majorly be done in two ways.
- With seed
- By division
Propagating by Seed
- Obtain fresh seeds from a mature majesty palm plant.
- Soak the seeds in warm water for 24 hours.
- Fill a seed-starting tray with a well-draining potting mix.
- Plant the seeds about 1 inch deep in the soil and cover lightly with soil.
- Water the seeds and place the tray in a warm, bright location (70-80°F) with indirect sunlight.
- Keep the soil moist and wait for germination to occur, which can take up to several months.
- Once the seedlings have sprouted, transplant them into individual pots filled with potting soil.
Propagating by Division
- Carefully remove the majesty palm from its pot and gently shake off the soil from the roots.
- Look for natural dividing points in the root ball where the plant can be separated.
- Use a sharp, sterilized knife to divide the root ball into smaller sections, ensuring each section has healthy roots and several fronds.
- Plant each divided section in a pot filled with fresh potting soil and water thoroughly.
- Place the newly potted plants in a warm, bright location with indirect sunlight, and keep the soil moist until they establish new roots.
Propagation can take time and patience, but with proper care, your new majesty palm plants should thrive and grow into beautiful mature plants
All you need to grow a Majesty palm as a houseplant is proper care and attention. I personally do not recommend this plant if you are a beginner in gardening as it is a tricky plant to grow. Also, as a big size plant, it takes up a large space. You definitely need a big room to settle it. You should consider these things before considering it in your indoors.
In terms of a decorative point of view, it certainly adds a unique element to your space and is one of the most lovable palm plants around the globe.
How is your experience with this houseplant?
Let me know in the below comment Section.
Thanks for visiting us.